2017 Guangzhou International DocumentaryFilm Festival
Rules on Competition
The Rules are applied to all films applying for the 2017 Golden Kapok Award Competition that to be held during Guangzhou International Documentary Film Festival (“GZDOC”).
GZDOC Golden Kapok Award Competition, which under the principle of international friendship and cultural exchange, focuses on screening high-quality documentary films and discovering pioneering documentarians under the purpose of promoting international cooperation and exchanges in documentary films, promoting the development of documentary film industry and highlighting the values of excellent documentary films.
Article 1 Application Conditions
1.Only finished documentary films are acceptable. Those that are still in investigation, shooting or post production phases will be refused.
2. No entry theme restriction.
3. No ceiling for the number of entries.
4. Documentary films can apply for competition, screening and DOC Shop at the same time.
5. No application fee.
6. No entry shall be found with pornography, violence and/or racial discrimination elements; nor shallthey conflict with the laws and regulations of the People’s Republic of China.
Article 2 Running Timeand Subtitles
Short: no longer than 30 minutes (including Opening Credits);
Feature: longer than 30 minutes (including Opening Credits);
Series: in three episodes (sets) or more that are inter-related.
For films that contain MANDARINE dialogues, subtitle is not required (provision of subtitle in English is subject to further notice);
For films that contain dialogues inChinese minority languages or dialects, the complete Chinese subtitle shall be embedded (provision of subtitle in English is subject to further notice)；
For films contain NON-MANDARINE dialogues (including English), the complete English subtitle shall be embedded.
Article 3 ApplicationDeadline
1. Online application system will be accessible for a long period,but only those entries meeting the following requirements will be accepted by the General Office of the Organizing Committee (the “OC”).
2.Competition application deadline: August 30, 2017 (the online GZDOC Film Entry Form shall be submitted before this date);application materials shall be RECEIVE through mail to the OC by August30, 2017.
3.Films applying for 2017 Golden Kapok Awards shall be produced no earlier than January 2015 and no later than August 2017. And GZDOC will present those meeting the requirements to the panel for appraisal.
Article 4 Application Process
ALL applicants shall go through the following:
1.Fully completing the online Entry Form and selecting competition. (Documentary films can applyfor competition, screening and DOC Shop at the same time.)
2. Uploading the following materials:
(1) Film stills in JPG format (pixel no less than 300 dpi; no less than 1Mb);
(2) Films in NON-MANDARINE dialogues shall be uploaded subtitle script or subtitle file.Requirements for subtitle script：word or text format.
Requirements for subtitle file：SRT or ASS format.
3. Sending the following materials through mail:
(1) Film in MP4 / MOV format, in digital DVD/USB; HD (720p or 1080p) version is preferred, English subtitle is needed if the film contains NON-MANDARINE dialogues (including English);
(2) Trailer (less than 3 minutes) in MP4 format, in digital DVD/USB; HD (720p or 1080p)version is preferred, English subtitle is needed if the film contains NON-MANDARINE dialogues (including English);
Submission Method 1
Mail to the OC copies of application materials in DVD/USB along with the film title and contact information.
Address: Guangdong Province, Guangzhou, Tianhe District
Tianhe North Road 689, No.1701
Contacts: Mr. Ding Zhizhao
Zip code: 510630
Submission Method 2
Upload application materials into Vimeo or Google Drive and send the download link and password to firstname.lastname@example.org along with film title and contact information.
4.The application is successful upon receiving a notification e-mail from the OC, otherwise, the application process is not finished due to incomplete submission materials,film arrival failure or download failure.
5.Waiting for further notice from the OC.
6.The OC may contact the applicant for additional materials if necessary.
7.Please be noted that application with insufficient materials is null.
Article 5 Material Delivery
1.All application materials required (film, trailer) shall be sent to the address below before deadline:
General Office of the Organizing Committee of GZDOC
Room 1701, China Everbright Bank Building, Tianhe North Road, Tianhe District,Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, China
Contacts: Mr. Ding Zhizhao
2. If by means of international delivery, please ensure that the parcel is marked “For Cultural Purpose Only” and “No Commercial Value”.
3. The applicant must ensure that all deliveries are prepaid and customs levies are settled, otherwise the OC has the right to reject. Personal delivery is acceptable (please contact the General Office in prior for business hours).
4.All application materials will be kept by the OC for archiving. Please ensure that you have backups.
5.Please be noted that the OC will not bear the costs for mail or insurance of the application materials, nor be responsible for any loss, damage of the materials during the process of delivery or the loss, error or damage of the materials attributable to Force.
Article 6 Procedures
1.The Golden Kapok Award Competition will be determined after the preselection, review appraisal and final appraisal. The final results will bean nounced at the GZDOC closing ceremony.
2. Review stage:
(1) Each film qualified to the Review will be given a Certificate (electronic) which will be sent to the Contact Person through email.
3. Final appraisal stage:
(1) Films embedded with both Chinese and English subtitles might be required by the OC if necessary.
(2) Each film qualified to the Final Appraisal will be given a Certificate (hard copy) which will be sent to the Contact Person through express delivery.
(3) The OC will invite two main framers to GZDOC and relevant activities to be held in Guangzhou (see the Invitation Letter and attachments for reception details);
(4) The OC is entitled to three offline screening (from December 1 to December 20, 2017) of the film during GZDOC.
(1) Each award-winning film will be given a Certificate (hard copy) and a trophy which will be granted at the GZDOC closing ceremony.
(2) The OC is entitled to two offline screening (from December 16, 2017 to January 1, 2018) of the film.
5. Upon receiving the notice on qualification to the Final Appraisal and having confirmed thereby, the applicant shall not withdraw the qualified film for any reason.
Article 7 Awards
The OC will form Final Jury Committee of seven experts, well-known directors and producers of the documentary field from both home and abroad to determine the winners. GZDOC 2017 Golden Kapok Awards will be given to:
1. Best Documentary Grand Prize;
2. Best Documentary Feature;
3. Best Documentary Short;
4. Best Documentary Directing;
5. Best Documentary Series;
6. Best International Co-production Documentary with China;
7. Award of Audience's Choice (determined by online votes);
8. Best Chinese Documentary for International Communication (determined by data);
9. Best First Documentary Award;
10. 3 Special Awards of the Organizing Committee of GZDOC;
11. An Jury Special Award might be conferred by the Final Jury Committee on an entry of high quality and special value.
Article 8 Statements
(1) Applicant(or applying institution) shall possess the copyright or distribution right of the film submitted by him/her, and shall ensure that there is no dispute over copyright of the film, and the copyrights/authorization of the copyright owner(s) to use the music, video image and texts contained/used in the film are obtained. Any dispute arose out of or in relation to the copyright of the film shall be borne by the applicant (or applying institution).
(2)The OC is entitled to use no more than three minutes of serial images of each film for promotion purposes through TV, cinema, video network or other media.
(3) The OC is entitled to use the application materials, stills, posters and trailers of each film to promote GZDOC through press work, promotional video, cinema, TV,Internet, mobile TV and public areas.
(4) The OC is entitled to duplicate each film exclusive for only archiving other than any commercial purpose.
2.Statement of Interests
(1) All applicants shall strictly abide by the Rules on Finished Documentary Film of 2017 Guangzhou International Documentary Film Festival.
(2) GZDOC shall assume no responsibility for any consequences arose out of or in relation to any error in submission of materials and/or completion of forms.
(3) If the Rules are modified, we will post an announcement on our website. The applicant can withdraw from the event if he/she thinks the modified clauses are unacceptable by notifying the OC within 10 working days after the announcement is posted. Otherwise, we will deem that the applicant accepts all the modified clauses.
(4) All applications for the Golden Kapok Awards, Golden Kapok Gallery and DOC Shop to be held by GZDOC are regarded as agreement to the above provisions and rules.Any dispute hereof shall be subject to the independent jurisdiction of the judicial authorities of the People’s Republic of China.
(5) The OC reserves all rights to final explanation of the Rules.
(6) The OC reserves all rights to final explanation of all activities.
General Office of the Organizing Committee of Guangzhou International Documentary Film Festival
Mr. Ding Zhizhao